Re: [...] smaller powerpc kernels or oldworld/miboot flavour.

Hi,

Christoph Hellwig writes:

> Fine with me.  I'll also commit the modular swim3 and anslcd patches
> ASAP which should probably go into -4.

-4 is already in unstable, with the G4 errata fix.

> > Anyway, i believe that it is needed to take action now, and build
> > a new powerpc-oldworld-pmac config which is especially suited to
> > building miboot floppies for the oldworld pmac debian-installer,
> > for those who don't have mac os 9 anymore and still want to
> > install debian on their pmac hardware.

There is a 2.4 based miBoot installer, so no need to rush anything.

> Do we have a number on how many people actually did that with woody?

No, but we have a number on how many people tested the above-mentioned
2.4 based miBoot installer: Zero.

> How much smaller do you need the kernel image for that to work?

In 2.6.7-4, we're at:

$ gzip --best < vmlinux-2.6.7-powerpc | wc -c
1581123

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!