Re: creating kernel udebs from kernel-source

Sven Luther wrote:

|> decision |> later. | | | No. This works for the -up against -smp
|> ones, and maybe for the | upcoming ppc64/generic and
|> ppc64/generic-power4, but for the rest | of it, they are trully
|> separate kernel which will not run on boxes | they are not meant
|> to.
|>
|> ok.. let's try another example:
|>
|> Arch foo has 20 different kind of subarches and each of them has
|> 4 different flavours. For simplicity we will call them
|> subarchN-flavM. where M can be: 0 = no optimizations of any kind.
|>  1= optimization1 2 = ... 3 = ...
|

| No, i don't believe this is the reality out there apart on x86.
| each arch has a number of subarches, but not really significant
| amount of optimizations.

See Steve Langasek post with proper numbers:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2004/11/msg00684.html

|> due to the fact that flav0 is common to the entire subarch.
|

| I also have some doubt that you can without risk reuse the modules
| of a given subarch flavour with another flavour in most cases out
| there.

I did never mixed them Sven. see again the numbers and what i wrote
in the thread. The patch generates all the required udebs. All of them
from the kernel to the modules.

|> This kind of "optimization" can apply to all the arch. You
|> maintain the subarch (otherwise it doesn't boot). You kill the
|> unrequired flavours. This reduces a lot the amount of udebs that
|> you need.
|

| Yes, but i don't think your reasoning applies outside of x86. At
| least it doesn't on powerpc right now, so there is not much you can
| do.

see the same post as above... i386 is one arch with 2 subarch
and generates more udebs than arm with 5 subarch and
yes.. i can see myself that ppc is the one with biggest amount..
tought.. it could have been any other arch like s390 or m68k
or ....

Fabio

- --
Self-Service law:
The last available dish of the food you have decided to eat, will be
inevitably taken from the person in front of you.