Re: creating kernel udebs from kernel-source

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
[snip]
> | You can do this in ubuntu only because you have only 2-3 arches to
> | worry about,
>
> The model can be adapted. I am not pushing a patch to force our
> solution, but to give back the code that has been done and tested.
> It is up to the 2 teams to decide what to do with it.
> Clearly applying it to 11 arch is technically possible, it of course
> require more coordinations between people, and that is something
> nobody can give you with a patch ;)

It also requires a mostly common upstream for all architectures.
Historically, this assumption broke down, and was the reason to
introduce separate kernel-source/kernel-tree .debs. Kernel 2.6
has improved the situation, but not enough to go back to a single
source package.

> | and are thus not limited by the number of packages the packaging
> | tools can handle, right ?
>
> Nope.. the list of binaries that are generated per each arch is
> still relatively small.

This suggests those udebs can't be cross-built easily.
linux-kernel-di can (at least it is supposed to support this), which
pushed the limit of the packaging tools. This in turn triggered the
split in several linux-kernel-di-<arch> packages.

Thiemo