Re: upgrading i386 kernel on AMD64

Moin,
On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 07:43:43AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> >The problem is, the kernel does not find the root filesystem, since it does
> >not detect the harddisk. This box (ASUS K8V mainboard) has one SATA disk
> >connected to the VIA VT8237 RAID controller, the Promise 20376 is not used,
> >the IDE controller is only used for the DVD. The i386 install kernel sees
> >the SATA disk fine, and detects it as hde. The AMD64 kernels sees the disk
> >as sda. All newer i386 kernels, the ones provided by debian, as well as
> >self-built, do not see the SATA disk at all, and I wonder why, and how to
> >fix this.
> >

> Probably your sata driver is not loaded at boot time.
> Is this the same problem as in #263169?
>
> Maybe this helps: Add the name of your sata driver to
> /etc/mkinitrd/modules and rebuild the initrd, e.g. by
> reinstalling the kernel package.

Yup, that worked great! But in addition to the sata driver, I also had to
add scsi_mod and sd_mod. Works great now, only I had to change the fstab to
use sda instead of hde. So in case I want to boot the install kernel again,
I am screwed, or is there a way to use a specific fstab depending on your
kernel-version? But then the netinstall CDs do not provide the resue option
anymore AFAIK, I might not need the install kernel anymore.

With this hint, I got the selfcompiled kernel to work as well, including
audio, thanks a lot!

Christian