Re: Linux kernel image 2.6.8 and unwanted modules and hot keyboard

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 08:27:24PM +0200, Frank Murphy wrote:

> So I noticed was that there are a lot of kernel modules and daemons for things
> I won't use (such as jfs and its [jfsIO], [jfsCommit], and [jfsSync]
> processes).

There are actually 4 ways your installed system is loading modules :

1) Those in the initrd (package initrd-tools). The filesystem drivers are
coming from there, and i would consider this a bug. Please fill a bug report
against initrd-tools asking for proper detection of the root filesystem type,
and loading of only this module, and not every filesystem module under the
sun. This will make the initrd also substantially smaller. (XFS and reiserfs
together are over 1MB).

2) /etc/modules. mostly hand filled stuff here.

3) discover 1 or 2. There is a way to do blacklisting. It is easier with
discover1, which has a way to blacklist in one of the config files in
/etc/*discover*. Discover 2 is more difficult to blacklist, as it seems to
involve XML files.

4) hotplug. blacklisting there is done by /etc/hotplug/blacklist, i think.

Would be nice to be able to blacklist stuff for all three automated mechanism
in only one file, or even have something that overrides /etc/modules. Ideally
those would be listed as /etc/modules.blacklist, and pulled in by all 4 module

I am CCing debian-kernel, as this is a decision that concerns them/us there.
Fellow debian-kernel members, what do you think about this rather horrible
situation right now ?