Re: New kernel-source-2.6.7 upload ?

Hi,

Goswin von Brederlow writes:

> I don't see where such a strict Depends would reduce usefullness.

Now, users of kernel-tree have to download the upstream source once
per upstream release and the Debian patch once per Debian revision.

With a versioned dependency of kernel-tree on kernel-source, they
would have to download the upstream source for every Debian revision.
So this gains nothing over just installing kernel-source in the first
place, and kernel-tree and kernel-patch-debian could be dropped
altogether.

> People who install kernel-tree-2.6 should be prepared for lots of
> downloads of new debian patches and new upstream sources.

Think security updates.  Think users who get CDs and update over slow
lines.  Think people who pay for their traffic per volume.  The sizes
of kernel-source and kernel-patch-debian differ by two orders of
magnitude, so keeping the existing kernel-tree in good shape is well
worth it.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!