Re: initrd on installed kernels

Hi,

Thibaut Varene writes:

> The main difference (the only one _really_ noticeable) stands at
> very early stage, when lilo loads the kernel (and the initrd now).
> The "Loading Linux......." dot-bar progress message that used to
> last a couple of seconds is now taking tens of secs.

This is very strange and probably a lilo bug or setup problem.  Since
I myself use grub for booting i386 systems, I haven't seen anything
like this, but I vaguely remember one of my users reporting the same
problem.  It may have to do with the "compact" option in lilo.conf,
try and toggle it.

> I have some boxes which I really enjoyed switching to NetBSD _from_
> Debian (really old & tiny hardware, 68LC030@25MHz, 36M RAM) ;)

Gee, NetBSD/mac68k.  My very first Un*x box was (and still is) a Mac
IIci with this.

> btw, what does _that_ mean ? ;)

It's a quote from a bande dessinée by Enki Bilal, namely Froid
Équateur.  Judging from your email adress, you should be able to go
and see his latest film Immortel, which is vaguely based on that.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!