Re: initrd on installed kernels

Hi,

Thibaut Varene writes:

> I didn't pay much attention to that at that time, knowing it was the
> new default for debian kernels.  But, I started giggling when I
> realized the total boot time (time before first login prompt) of the
> box was almost tripled (that's a P2 400).

How big is the initrd you generated?  I've found that it helps to
strip it down as much as possible, by setting MODULES=dep in
mkinitrd.conf for example, and getting all unnecessary filesystem
drivers out.

> I was wondering why are we using initd on installed debian kernels.

Even if you only consider booting from a harddisk partitions, a
generic kernel without an initrd needs basically all low-level IDE and
SCSI drivers built in in order to access the harddisk, and a good many
filesystem drivers on top of that.  So everybody is forced to load
lots and lots of drivers they will never need.  On the other hand,
with an initrd kernel you only have the bare minimum in the kernel and
use the initrd to load precisely the drivers you need to get your root
filesystem running.

> my question about proper 2.6 packaging still holds,

I'd suggest you just look at the existing 2.6 kernel-image and
kernel-patch packages of other archs and pick what you like best.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!