Re: How to rescue a screwed up install of KDE on wheezy

On 10/10/11 13:15, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
<snipped>

>> You only need one login manager - you currently have both the GNOME one,
>> and the KDE one installed, and clearly, you a .xinitrc as well.
>> Fluxbox can be started from kdm as well. So:-
>> $ mv ~.xinrtc ~xinitrc.bak
>> # dpkg-reconfigure kdm
>
> I haven't done that yet, wanted to get the inclusions to you first.

I'll be more informed when you get a chance to send the correct
information (my mistake) below. But it appears that all you need to do
is reconfigure kdm so that it loads before your (user) login, and remove
.xinitrc from your (user) profile.

I "think" I've covered it except for the contents of /etc/X11/xinit,
they should be:-
=================/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc==========================
#!/bin/sh

# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
#
# global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)

# invoke global X session script
. /etc/X11/Xsession

and
================/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc==========================
#!/bin/sh

exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"

> [...]
<snipped>

>> $ ls -s /etc/alternatives | grep manager > ~/sessions.txt
Sorry! my mistake ^^^ that should have read:-
$ ls -l /etc/alternatives | grep manager > ~/sessions.txt

<snipped>

>> And attach the output to your reply to this post ie.:-
<snipped>

>> default_dm.txt
<snipped>

> about forking... here was a reply to a fellow who asked me a question.
> Questions and answers to various people in a thread, is that not normal?
> Are you saying my answering another poster in the thread is forking?

No. :-)
As many people as you want can be in the same thread. Just try and
incorporate the responses in the same thread (where possible).

I know - many people *don't* post like that. Many people top post too...
and treat email/list communications like postcards rather than
conversations involving multiple people.

<snipped>

Cheers