Re: packaging qt apps for debian

Hello,

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a noob wanting to package a qt app for debian.  The mentors list
> directed me here.
>
> Is this the right place to ask?

I guess it is.

> My question was around the fact that debian generally prefers
> autoconf; configure; make sequence but qt apps use qmake instead of
> configure.

There are several build systems out there. Autotools (what you
describe) is one of them, qmake is another. There is no special
preference over autotools anywhere, just the examples you may find may
refer to autotools because it's a popular build system.

Adapting an autotools example to qmake should be easy, btw. Just
replace "configure" with "qmake-qt4" and adjust its options. You can
have a look at other packages that use qmake, for example kaboom, to
use as a reference.

> So then there was a discussion about whether to use debhelper or cdbs
> and I was suggested to ask here

Adrian already answered to that, it's your choice.

Regards,
George