Re: Multiple monitors bug in KDE 4.5.1

I have the same problem (well, with left vs. right monitors, but a similar issue with the plasmoids moving to the external monitor). I did a bit of quick googling and from what I was able to gather it looks like it's an upstream bug. The workaround that I found was to configure the displays from the command line using xrandr (I've got an intel card - I'm not sure if this procedure holds for other vendors such as nVidia; IIRC they have their own configuration system for multiple displays) using the following (slightly modified to match your configuration)
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1440x900 --output LVDS1 --primary --below VGA1

You'll want to replace the mode value with the actual resolution of your external monitor (this may not be strictly necessary, but I found that if I didn't include it the external display would sometimes get initialized to the same resolution as the laptop display), and potentially replace VGA1 and LVDS1 with the actual names for your external and built-in display (respectively) if they differ.

Hope this helps...and I'd love it if someone knows of a way to automatically run this when I plug in my external monitor (bonus points if you can also tell me a way to automatically reduce the desktop back to one display when I unplug)