Re: KDE 4.4.3 upgrade eats 141 MB of /home

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 02:53, Mike Kasick <mkasick-dk@club.cc.cmu.edu> wrote:

> - Long term: Don't use MySQL as the default Akonadi backend, which is
>  currently infeasible.

It is my understanding that KDE 4.5 will let you choose different
backends.

> - Disable "kres-migrator".  Or at least add a debconf option to
>  kdepim-runtime presenting the option of running kres-migrator by default
>  or disabling it.

Did you do any research as to what the longer-term implications
of foregoing this might be? I am not saying there are any, I
honestly don't know.

> - Add a warning dialog during kdepim-runtime upgrade stating that
>  kres-migrator will run by default and potentially consume a large amount
>  of per-user disk space, unless migration is manually disabled by the
>  above command.

Personally, I would like to see such a warning, but I am not sure if
that is acceptable by Debian's standards. apt-listchanges exists for
a reason.

> - Reduce the default size of the InnoDB transaction logs in the Akonadi
>  per-user MySQL configuration.

Seems like the best bet to me. If need be, the file size could be adapted
automagically. But that functionality would be in 4.5 at the earliest unless
it's patched downstream.

> Apologies for my rant.  I just can't comprehend how such disk usage is even
> remotely acceptable for PIM usage patterns.

Having only two users per machine and a huge /home anyway, I did not
notice this, but I agree that this is an issue that should be addressed.

Also, what about /root?

Richard