Best way to install kde-standard

Hello,

Yesterday I did a fresh install of kde-standard on my laptop (using d-i alpha-1, expert install,
sid, so KDE 4.4.3, filesystem ext4), but I didn't get the result I hoped for.
I believe that the recommended packages are the key.

Since I did it in a 'custom' way, I'll explain each step I did.
First I installed the base system with d-i selecting the laptop task and the base-system-utilities.
d-i now installs recommended packages too, since that's the (new) default.

Since I've seen (in the past) a whole lot of IMO bogus packages getting installed when recommended
packages are also installed, one of the first things I do after a base install of the system is to
instruct apt not to install recommended packages (APT::Install-Recommends "0"; in
/etc/apt/apt.conf).

After that I installed kde-standard with the following command:
"aptitude install kde-standard kdm xserver-xorg virtuoso-minimal"

After rebooting and logging into KDE I noticed the following things:
- When plugging in a usb device, device-notifier didn't notice anything and the only way to access
that usb device was to use mount it from Konsole
- The battery monitor didn't work at all
- I did not have a suspend to disk/ram option
- System Monitor - Harddisk didn't see any partitions

I didn't do further testing, since this was already not what I wanted.

Since I wanted to figure out what was left out because of not installing recommended packages, I ran
the following commands on a freshly installed base system, without disabling recommends.
The outputs are in the attachment.
"aptitude -s -y install kde-standard"
"aptitude -s -y install --without-recommends kde-standard"
"aptitude -s -y install kde-standard network-manager-kde=" (since I don't like/want network-manager)

The difference in --with-recommends and --without-recommends are so big wrt kde-standard that I think
kde-standard should be installed with the recommended packages.
But leaving out network-manager-kde seems to also not install some packages which may have
contributed to the problems described above. On first inspection libgudev-1.0-0 and
libknotificationitem-1-1 seem especially relevant.

So I would like to know how other ppl are installing kde(-standard) without bloating their system,
but with a properly functional one.
Tips/tricks/etc are also welcome.

Regards,
  Diederik