Re: KDE4 (squeeze) questions

On Saturday 30 January 2010, Valerio Passini was heard to say:
> Are you enjoying the hell of the customization?

Not really. KDE3 was, for me, an excellent experience. Customization
was merely a journey from friendly and usable to even more friendly
and usable.

The KDE4 customization journey has been one of constant frustration
and disgust while building an endless list of things that "I can't do
that any more."

> Well, if you want
> to customize the window border you can install Aurorae that is
> pretty and themeable.

No, I'm fine with the "themes" that are there, I don't want to make
extra special window decorations. I just don't like gray or light
blue.

> For changing colors you have to select your
> favorite in systemsettings -> appearance -> Colors.

That doesn't change the color of the border of the window. Or if it
does, it is so completely invisible a configuration option that I was
unable to find it after looking as closely at that setting as it is
possible to get and clicking everything in the vain hope of finding
it under this or that obscure option.

I'll look again, hopefully I will see this time what I missed before.

> For modifying KDM you should start systemsettings as superuser,
> with sudo, su or logging in as root.

Tried that, and yes I first "xhost +", but it didn't come up. No
error, just back to the command line without comment. I'll try again.

> Bye.
>
> Valerio

Bye, yes, very nearly. If it weren't for Kmail, Konqueror and
K3b, "bye" it might very well be. Thank Debian that this isn't my
machine, and Lenny is still valid with KDE3 for a little while.

Curt-

- --
The Magistrate, enrobed in taxes, condemns the thief in stolen rags.