Re: Am I alone?

Hello,

On antradienis 29 Rugsėjis 2009 18:08:06 jedd wrote:
>  I've talked before about the 5 to 20 second delay in re-sizing konsole
>  windows *only*, and only when they occupy > 60% of the screen.
>  This still lingers, and after recent work with VirtualBox sessions, I
>  can now add that the same problem does *not* apply to comparably
>  sized konsoles running in a virtual full-sized KDE desktop.

Video driver problem, most likely of proprietary nvidia drivers.

>  When I log in to KDE now, I have to change the order of sender/subject
>  in kmail (an outstanding bug that's been with us since KDE 4.0, where
>  it declines to remember your settings),

You are alone. Wipe kmailrc?

>  and then I have to make the
>  size-column smaller (because kmail always ignores the previous column
>  sizes, and starts each time with a hugely wide size column, and as
>  a result, a horizontal scrollbar - another bug of the same vintage).

Not sure about this. I'm using a new fancy mail list view.

> I then have to sort through all my konqueror windows, spread across
> 6 desktops.  I find that I consistently get duplicates of these - be
> they file or web konqueror instances - and the duplicates pop up on
> whichever desktop is in focus at login.  Because I can't be sure if
> they are duplicates, or just misplaced windows, I have to send them
> back to the desktop I think they belong to - I have VM's on desktop 1,
> web dev on desktop 2, mail on 3, and so on.  Then I visit each virtual
> desktop and cull out the duplicates - not that easy when there are
> a dozen or more windows on each.  I used to be able to use my G7-G12
> keys on my Logitech G15 keyboard as shortcuts for 'send window to
> Desktop X', but since KDE 4.0 these keys have not been supported,
> with an error about 'qt4 doesn't recognise this key'.  So I have to
> right-click every window, and send-to-desktop.  Slow and painful.

File a wishlist bug to bugs.kde.org or to Qt Software ?

[snip]

All other problems you describe are with konqueror. I don't see most of them
but konqueror is not such an important app for me and I don't use many virtual
desktops. I can only recommend to purge konqueror-nsplugins and wipe out
konqueror configs (and maybe kwinrc too) and start all over.

>  I'm sure someone will suggest starting with a new ~/.kde - and I
>  think I'm going to go down this path, just on the off-chance.  The
>  problem there is that I've only had this .kde set - a brand spanking
>  new instance since I had troubles with the 3.x to 4.x upgrade
>  process, for a couple of months.  If I have to re-start from
>  scratch on my entire .kde-contained settings every few months
>  then that's even worse - it's a huge amount of effort to go through
>  and set everything up from scratch, and even then I tend to
>  miss a few things that bite me a week or two later.

Well, just *test* with a new ~/.kde It does not mean you have to switch to it.
Try to reproduce problems and if they don't happen, it means you need to wipe
out a couple of configs from old .kde. That's it.

>  So, please, if you can tell me that I *am* alone, I'll be very happy.

I believe you are mostly alone. Konqueror disappearing to background happened
only once for me in KDE 4.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>