Re: desktop effects on PowerPC

Alle lunedì 07 settembre 2009, drz ha scritto:
> Am Sonntag 06 September 2009 17:56:40 schrieb drz:
> > Hi there
> >
> > I got a problem here with desktop effects on 4.3.1 on a Powerbook g4
> >  (powerbook 5,4 / ATI Technologies Inc RV350 Mobility Radeon 9600 M10).
> >
> > If I activate desktop effects the x-server crashes without a possibility
> > to recover, because I cant change to tty (via alt ctrl f1), no reaction
> > from keyboard.
> > Thee is an striped artifact instead of the mouse-pointer icon, thats the
> >  only symptom, I can tell of. No log entries in xorg.log nor messages or
> >  syslog...
> >
> > Same problem with kde 4.2.2. No effects since 4.1.
> >
> > Compiz is working. So compositing is working fine, I guess.
> > But I cant set compositing to active in system settings -> desktop.
> >
> > fyi: Im using radeon-driver, because there is no fglrx for PowerPC.
> > xserver-xorg = 7.3+20
> > xserver-xorg-core = 1.4.2-11
> >
> > Is it possible to get effects to work with radeon driver?
> >
> > Anybody got desktop effects working on a powerbook g4??
> >
> > I can provide any further info if needed & possible.
> >
> > greetz
> > drz
>
> so nobodys got an idea? Should I report a bug?
> No powerbook g4 users here?
>
> drz

I avoided to reply because I thought that you could get a better opinion since
you asked exactly for a reply from a Mac G4 owner. I had a similar video card on
a PC laptop (ati 9000M) and I'm pretty sure that it worked well with the open
source driver and compiz, but it was not capable to run the KDE4 effects at all
(it was KDE4.0 and it was painful almost for everybody). That laptop of mine now
is dead and if you can cope with general suggestions, you can send here your
xorg.conf, but I'm not sure your problem is related to KDE4 and that I can help
you to solve it. Bye

Valerio