khelpcenter4

Every time I wanted to use the help system I got a msg saying that helpcenter could not be found.
When inspecting the khelpcenter4 package with aptitude I saw it was marked as an optional package.
Why?
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-runtime/khelpcenter/help-system-user-manual.html says:
"KHelpCenter is an integral part of the KDE Base installation, and is installed with every copy of
KDE. It can be found in the kdebase-runtime package, and is available from the
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/, or will be found in your operating system's kdebase-runtime package."

Installing the khelpcenter4 package got rid of the issue.
Today I installed the kdiff3 and kdiff3-doc package, but when I invoke the help from kdiff3 I got the
msg "The file or folder help:/kdiff3/index.html does not exist"
How can I fix this?
Where can I find info about the help:/ protocol because quite some links in the KDE Help Center point
to invalid locations and I would like to fix that.