Re: Fighting kio_http_cache_cleaner

Am Freitag 21 August 2009 schrieb David Baron:
> On Friday 21 August 2009 10:21:59 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On penktadienis 21 Rugpjūtis 2009 00:19:59 Christoph Burgmer wrote:
> > > "killall kio_http_cache_cleaner" is my little friend and helper
> > > right now. I can't see any artifacts from not running the process
> > > every once and a while, so I guess there is no need for my
> > > hard-drive being bogged down that often.
> >
> > # dpkg-divert --add --rename
> > /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kio_http_cache_cleaner # dpkg-divert --add
> > --rename /usr/bin/kio_http_cache_cleaner
>
> Idea. Good for pulseaudio and some others as well? How safe is this? (I
> assume on must remove/rename the current copies as well)

Reporting to bugs.kde.org would be good as well.

I for now disabled nepomuk services. It hogs I/O at times as well without
bringing any real benefit to me. It also tends to go into endless CPU loops
and block other applications waiting for it. And then there is kwrited
putting 5-40 messages into the notify system rendering in unusable.
Remember the milk applet got Plasma into a crash loop and crashes it every
now and then. Annoying bugs in KOrganizer like not allowing different start
and end times on multiday events or disappearing whole day events. Some
minutes I could log out anymore without killing all user processes
manually. And well crashes every now and then.

I had a deep look at KDE 4.3 for a review. It shows lots of potential -
for example with the activity stuff in Plasma. But it severely needs
stabilization work. There are way too many cool, but half baken features
and too many crashes. I reported about 20-30 bug reports within 2-3 weeks
and I have at least 10 more reports I can think of right now - I only
report to bugs.kde.org as I default to "it is KDE's fault" at the moment.
At least 5-10 were crashes via DrKonqi. Well I didn't manage to take time
to do this testing and do these reports during 4.3 RC. So thats what I get
it seems.

Its a .0 release and 4.2.4 appeared to me more stable to me, but still.
For my taste its more than a tad bit too unstable and flaky for a *release*
and we are not talking about 4.0 that was clearly marked as a developer
release.