Re: SQUEEZE - KDE4 - kdm doesn't start session, gdm does

_Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 8:02 PM, tv.debian@googlemail.com
> <mailto:tv.debian@googlemail.com> <tv.debian@googlemail.com
> <mailto:tv.debian@googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I upgraded my testing box from kde3 to kde4 few days ago, all is now
>     working pretty well but I can't use kdm to log in my kde session. If I
>     install gdm and configure it as the default I have no problem logging in
>     my kde session though (a minimal gnome is also installed on the system,
>     as a backup DE).
>
>     With kdm I can see the login screen, input my user-name and password,
>     but then I come back to the login screen after a few seconds of black
>     screen...
>
>     Reading the logs I don't get anything interesting in /var/log/kdm.log,
>     except a lot of garbage about keyboard map :
>
>     [...]
>     > Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>     >                   Using first definition
>     > Warning:          Multiple doodads named ""
>     >                   Using first definition
>     Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
>     (EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
>     (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
>

>     But I have no problem with the keymap, and Xorg log doesn't show any
>     error or warning. I don't think this is causing the login failure.
>

>     In syslog I have errors related to "consolekit":
>

>     [...]
>     kdm[12869]: XDMCP socket creation failed, errno 97
>     [...]
>     kdm: :0[8824]: Cannot open ConsoleKit session: Unable to open session:
>     Failed to execute program /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper:
>     Success
>     kdm: :0[8824]: Client start failed
>     kdm: :0[8824]: Cannot close ConsoleKit session: Unable to close session:
>     no session open
>     [...]
>     ck-launch-session: error connecting to ConsoleKit
>

>     I am not at all familiar with the consolekit and policykit thing, but
>     this definitely seems to be at the root of the problem.
>
>     Any idea ?
>

>     Thanks,
>
>     Tom
_
_
_ Hi,
_
_ I just upgrade my KDE to 4.2 yesterday. Everything works.
_
_ I perform "aptitude full-upgrade" so that aptitude will update
_ everything that could be updated.
_
_ May I know how you perform your update?
_
_ Thanks.
_
_ --
_ Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan

(message received privately, forwarding back to the list).

I upgraded with aptitude too, I only use aptitude.

Since my initial message I tried to fiddle a bit with consolekit, now I
get to login without entring a password, and "sudo" works without a
password too... Of course I didn't explicitly ask for this !

I'll let you know if my experiments lead somewhere... or not.

Tom