Re: printing in kde4

Alle Tuesday 05 May 2009, Christoph Burgmer ha scritto:
> Am Dienstag, 5. Mai 2009 schrieb Valerio Passini:
> > Alle Tuesday 05 May 2009, Dietz Pröpper ha scritto:
> > > Valerio Passini:

> > > *Sigh*. Thanks alot, I already knew.
> > >
> > > But my question was, where can I configure the *KDE* printing system.
> > > More specifically, how can I add/modify "special" printers like "print to
> > > file(PDF)" and so on.
> >
> > You should add a pdf printer to CUPS. First install cups-pdf, then select
> > the right printer in the configuration dialog. I think you can use
> > system-config-printer-kde (warning! sometimes it freezes and do sudo to
> > call the program) -> click New Printer in the left panel. Then click New
> > Printer in the right panel and follow the instructions. For pdf printer is
> > obvious, but when it comes to driver select generic. Hope this is enough

> If I understand him correctly he wants to add stuff on the KDE level, without
> the need of CUPS. Dunno where to look, do a 'grep -r "print to file(PDF)" /' :)
>
> Why would you want that though? CUPS is a perfect level of abstraction where
> you would want to do things.
>
> Christoph

Yes, I have tried to guide him to the right procedure. For having a pdf printer, first cups-pdf it's needed (it might be superfluous to tell, but you never know). Then I explained how to use system-config-printer-kde, that at the moment is the only one UI for adding printers in a KDE fashion (just because it looks like a KDE application). Plus I have give him some advice on how much nasty this program can be. All the above stuff was correctly answered before by another member, but seeing that it was not enough I have tried to be more verbose.
Cheers

Valerio