Migrating KDE3.5.6 to KDE4.2.2

I did this for two users, using the kaboom. Since I have kde3.5.6 running off
a local compile, I first copied the .kde to .kde3 and set it up to use that
instead so kde3 continues to run fine. Luckily.

The second user's kde4 comes up nicely. I had to redo her desktop but this was
to be expected. However, kdesktop and kicker come up and excluding them in the
sessions manager does not seem to work for this user. I have an Autostart
script to renice some stuff so I placed killalls here to get rid of the
unwanted desktop. Otherwize, works just fine.

The first user's kde4 did not fare well at all. Comes up with the Debian blue
graphic, no plasma runs. Without at least that, I cannot get into the
configuration! So I got rid of .kde, copied my saved .kde3 back to .kde and
started over. No kaboom. Kde4 did not crash (I expected that off a kde3 .kde
as in the past) and the same thing happens again. No plasma (and no kdesktop
or kicker).

This user has a lot of desktop icons she uses regularly so I would like to
keep them. The only workaround I see is to copy the successful .kde, chown -R,
and again manually rebuild everything. Neither user had anything complicated
and I will not use akonadi or nepomuk for them.