Ensuring that screen is locked on wakeup + power mgmt in general

When I suspend my notebook to RAM from the logout dialog the screen is
not locked on wakeup. This is not what I want, of course, however, I
can't find the right place to configure it. The screen saver is set to
lock the screen after 60 sec (on top of the 5 min after which it is
activated) and this works correctly when the computer is on. I don't
know if the screen saver is supposed to kick in on wakeup, but I wish it
would.

There are other things regarding Suspend to RAM that I noticed: In the
(advanced) Power Management Configuration, the power button is set to
trigger the Log out dialog. It does indeed appear, but at the same time
I a system message pops up telling me that the system is powered off
NOW. Then, on wakeup, the LAN connection is not brought up again and the
network system monitor widget is maxed out. After restarting network-
manager, the connection is re-established, but the widget remains
unhelpful.

Looking through my installed packages, I notice that a whole slew of
them is related to power management:

- acpi, acpid, acpi-support
- laptop-mode-tools
- pm-utils
- uswsusp

Also, there is power devil as part of kdebase-workspace-bin; notably,
(k)powersave(d) are not installed. Are all these packages necessary for
proper power managment on a notebook?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig