Re: Lenny setup for grandma

On Saturday 11 April 2009 17:29:59 Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am setting up a KDE Lenny system for a non-cmd-line user (not really
> grandma though).
>
> Can anybody recommend a
> - graphical package manager? Kubuntu uses adept, but that is not included
> in lenny, KDE ships kpackage, how well is that adapted to Debian? Should I
> go with Synaptic?

I find that Synaptic seems to be easily usable by a non-CLI but not nervous
user.  I personally much prefer it to Adept.

> - update notifier. update-notifier wants to install a lot of GNOME stuff.
> Is there a KDE alternative?

Is an update notifier really necessary?  A periodic check via Synaptic is very
easy, and either the user could be asked to do it periodically or you could
do it when you visit.  (You don't say how much access you will have to the
computer once it is with its owner/user.)

Avoid having any non-necessary Gnome stuff on in the first place, then
hopefully it will not get updated!

HTH
Lisi