Re: Panel woes and other peculiarities

On Friday 10 April 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 200904100017.17828.michael@schuerig.de>, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> >- I don't seem to be able to move widgets around, even though the
> > panel is unlocked. On the left, there's the KMenu and plugged-in
> > devices. On the far right I've managed to add a few application
> > buttons, logout/lock, and trash. Over most of the space in the
> > middle, the system tray stretches out.
>
> I've only had luck moving widgets when the panel settings are
> displayed.  At point you can click a widget once to "grab" it, then
> move your pointer to where you want it and click to "drop" it.

Ah, yes, thanks, that works.

> Regarding the system tray:  Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's an upstream
> bug (I had a few people confirm it a couple of week ago on one of the
> KDE lists). The system tray seems to want to take all the extra space
> on the panel, unless it is on a panel with the Task Manager (or
> possibly another expanding widget. I haven't gotten around to filing
> a bug, and just worked around it locally.

I think it's an issue with the layout management. Apparently, panel
widgets are packed tightly, at least I can't position them arbitrarily.
Then, the stretchable widgets, such as the system tray and the digital
clock take up all the place there is.

> >- Where do the panels get their colors from?
>
> IIRC, your desktop theme.  Right click an empty spot on your desktop,
> choose Appearance, it should be on the first tab as a drop-down with
> previews.

Yes, I've noticed that, but I haven't seen a setting for the panel
color. Anyway, that's a minor thing.

> >- Is the digital clock really so dumb as to display the date in a
> > second column instead of underneath the time?
>
> I'm seeing the date underneath the time here.

Me too, after adjusting the panel height. Bummer.

> >- I can't bind Win-Shift-+ (aka Win-* on a german keyboard) to
> > Maximize Vertically.
>
> Where are you trying to do this and what error (or incorrect
> behavior) are you getting?

In the Keyboard & Mouse System Settings, Global Keyboard Shortcuts for
KWin, there the action Maximize Window. When I press Win-Shift-+ for a
custom setting, it makes Meta-* out of it. That's just fine, but it has
no effect.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig