Re: Kaboom, the Debian KDE settings migration wizard

On Thursday 02 April 2009 01:02:48 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> We have prepared a web page [0] explaining what kaboom is and what it does.
> Hope you'll find it useful.
>

> [0] http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kaboom.html

Thanks!

While I was opposed to moving .kde4 to .kde, I guess we are stuck with this.
My question/advice is about manual preparation before and after kaboom.

1. Will each user (or I for each user) run kaboom individually (or will kaboom
poll home/user directories and do this on installation?

2. I am running kde3 and kde4 (kde3 locally compiled). My /opt/kdedir startkde
sets an environment variable that /etc/profile tests to set up paths
accordingly. This arrangement has been doing the job. I have been using kde4
99% since it came out, kde4.2 works fine, prior versions less so. Other users
are still using the kde3.5.6.

3. I, of course, will use current .kde4--I have worked on this, moved kde3
configs as needed. Other users will convert their .kde.

4. For an installation such as mine, I would propose saving .kde to .kde3
beforehand and modify my kde3 startkde and /etc/profile accordingly. Now I do
not care what kaboom does to .kde. I could presumably do this right now.