Re: KDE 4.2 in unstable _NOT YET__

* Bernard Gray <bernard.gray@gmail.com> [2009 Mar 16 17:43 -0500]:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
> > I rely on WLAssistant for my WiFi connection management.  I understand
> > that it becomes obsolete under KDE4.  Is there a planned replacement or
> > will I be forced to use Network Manager or some other scheme?
> >
> > - Nate >>
>
> Hi Nate,
> I've been using a combination of wpasupplicant roaming, and wpagui (qt
> frontend) on debian/sidux
>
> wpasupplicant is nice because it is a daemon that *just works* in or
> out of X, with preconfigured networks.
> Networks can be configured in X via the wpagui frontend, or out of X
> via /etc/network/interfaces + wpa-roam.conf text files (Obviously this
> is a worst case scenario when you have lost X and have no familiar
> network around)

Thanks for the reply, Bernard.

I used to use wpasupplicant and that is what finally drove me to
wlassistant so I could choose among APs manually.  I realize Debian
relies on configuring the network stack without reliance on a GUI and I
too use ifplugd for my wired Ethernet interface.

I see the reply below mentions a Plasma widget for Network Manager that
may be the same as the widget used by my Kubuntu 8.10 test
installation.

- Nate >>