Re: KDE4 composite kwin + Intel GPU

Dne st 3. září 2008 Christoph Burgmer napsal(a):
> KWin, composite, Intel, bad performance are all keywords that match for
> me, see my post on the 2nd of August to this list (6 pm UTC). I for my
> part have given up right now and enjoy KDE4 without animations. Do keep
> us updated though once you find a solution.

I wonder if the newer intel drivers in experimental (2.4.1, Lenny has
2.3.2) would help things.  They don't seem to be easily installable,
unfortunately.
Another thing to try would be the obsolete "real" i810 driver (the one in
Debian is actually linked to the "intel" driver).

I haven't experienced any graphical glitches myself, mostly just very
inadequate performance.
My experience with composite effects in short:
 - Using the default "EXA" AccelMethod: effects work fine, terrible
performance, using XRender didn't seem to help
 - Using "XAA": perfect performance, but can't play any video, didn't try
XRender
Since XAA is obsolete, I'd rather see EXA working than work around the XAA
problems (I did find some poor workarounds for the video issue...).

I'm reverting to KDE 3 for now, composite effects were the main attraction
for me and otherwise I'm still missing some functionality (khotkeys).