Re: KPowersave and KNetworkManager

El Jueves, 24 de Julio de 2008, Eric Doviak escribió:
> Hello,
>
> Let me begin by thanking Ana Guerrero and the rest of Debian's KDE team
> for their prompt response to the problems caused when a very stubborn
> Debian kernel maintainer disabled support for /proc/acpi.[1]
>
> Thank you for taking the time to provide people like me with a great
> desktop!

> When I recently upgraded my Lenny system and brought in KPowersave, I
> had no trouble suspending or resuming. However, KNetworkManager was
> unable to reinitialize my wireless connection (Atheros with proprietary
> Madwifi drivers). Specifically, KNetworkManager would show me that it
> had detected 5 or 6 networks, but it was unable to connect to any of
> them. So I ran "iwlist scan" and here's what I got:
>

> [ Wed 23-Jul-2008 23.42 root ] eric # iwlist scan
> lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> wifi0     Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> ath1      No scan results
>
> [ Wed 23-Jul-2008 23.42 root ] eric #
> [ Wed 23-Jul-2008 23.42 root ] eric #
>

> This bug has been reported [2] and rumor has it that this is a
> well-known issue [3]. (I cannot say that I knew about it however!).
>
> I can unequivocally state that KPowersave caused the problem. I
> downgraded to kernel 2.6.24 and reverted to KLaptop 3.5.9-1 and the
> problem vanished.
>
> Is their a workaround for this problem? or do we have to suffer in silence?
>
> Thanks,
> - Eric

  It looks It is not kpowersave that specifically brought the problem to you,
but the method it uses to hibernate or suspend. I don't have enough knowledge
in this field yet, but I think it uses some dbus method to hibernate and
there you may find the problem.

  I like very much the hibernate scripts to hibernate or suspend, but I don't
know how kpowersave and hibernate can be put together.

  My advice is to take a look if you can force unloading the madwifi modules,
also you can try to manually unconfigure the interface, unload the module and
the load the module and configure it back again.

  Good luck. Regards,

--
     Raúl Sánchez Siles
----->Proud Debian user<-----