Re: planet-kde and debian

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 03:45:32PM +0200, Christoph Burgmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now that I know two persons from the Debian-KDE team are blogging on
> planetkde.org I would personally like to see more announcements on Debian. We
> get to hear about new packages in e.g. OpenSUSE, but never about new stuff in
> Debian. I believe KDE in Debian would benefit from a bit more marketing. So
> in case you thought about blog-posting but weren't sure if anybody would be
> interested, I would, and I guess some more would, too.

It is 3 people, Fathi Boudra, Sune Vuorela and me.

You are right in the part we should have more debian visibility there and
I totally agree in the marketing point, but I do not fully agree in the
announcement part. Let me explain this.

A blog is a personal site where the person who blogs give personal opinions
and thoughts, or at least this is generally the case. So you blog when you are
specially proud of something, feel like sharing some idea or want helping others
with a how to.
In the beginning of this week, when I saw the postblogs about the update in
opensuse and mandriva, i did wonder if it could be useful for Debian
users something like that, but i did not feel like blogging just an empty blog
post (of content) saying: "hey! we too!".

I took care of updating the info in the KDE 4.1 rc 1 info page [1] that is
supposed  to be read for people interested in KDE 4. As well, I expect current
experimental users be able to check if there are new packages in experimental
(or unstable), and when they have problems/questions send a mail to this mailing
list or their respective language users mailing list.

In the case of the opensuse (or mandriva, or kubuntu..) folks, i kind of
understand those blogposts because it is job for them and they are supposed to
work in the marketing stuff too. You will see some of them even have a
"work blog" and a personal blog. But i do not see my blog like a public
service announcement.
I know there is a need of a public announcements to know what is going on,
and they are important if you want your hard work being enjoyed for more
people. That is why I started the current website [2] some time ago. Sadly,
I have to admit nobody in the current KDE team has been able to keep the
website updated, at least the new section. We are aware of the importance
of this, but we use to forget add the news when there is something important
to tell.
It is a bit like forgotting to add the icing on the cake after make a
tasty cake.

> Thanks for listening,

Thank you for your mail, it is nice having some human feedback and not only bug
reports :D

Ana

[1] http://www.kde.org/info/4.0.98.php
[2]