Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

Hi,

2007 m. May 18 d., Friday, Curt Howland rašė:
> Just like the single user on the machine not being added to the
> powerdev group automatically. If it had, we wouldn't be having this
> discussion.
Installer did this since sarge (for audio, video, cdrom, floppy, plugdev,
dialout, dip and similar), iirc. By the way, this is done only for the user
you create during installation. If you create a new user manually, you also
have to add to the groups manually. Do you select the desktop task in
tasksel?

I'm not really sure about 'powerdev' group, it's pretty new. But I believe
Etch installer should definitely add the user to this group when you
choose 'laptop' task.

> What user, new to Linux, is even going to know the addgroup command
> exists? Or after 12 years of using Debian, someone like myself who
> finds it more efficient to just change the permissions on the device
> that seems to be broken?
Making permissions 777 you sacrifice security for "ease of use" and
convinience. It's your choice.

> But thank you for the suggestion. I will go through and list all the
> groups (by the only way I know how, cat /etc/group) and add the one
> user to every group that isn't obviously wrong. Who knows what
> problems this might cause?
It will make your user more powerful. E.g. if you add your user to the
group 'disk', you (or other process running with the rights of your user)
potentially can do much harm without a warning, e.g.:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<your hard disk here>

Other than weakened security, there should be no consiquences adding a user to
a system group. Unless the group is very specialized.

--
Modestas Vainius <geromanas@mailas.com>