Re: KDE 3.5.6

Am Mittwoch 07 Februar 2007 schrieb Cédric Boutillier:
> Hi !
>
> What is the recommended way to upgrade to KDE 3.5.6 ? There should be
> something better than downloading all the packages with wget, and then
> install them by hand with dpkg.
> Could you give me some tips here ?

Hello!

What a coincidence, I already thought about posting some hints, but then
thought they may probably not be needed.

Add something like this to /etc/apt/sources.list:

# Debian Experimental
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian experimental main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian experimental main non-free contrib

Depending on this parts of KDE you have installed do something like this:

aptitude -t experimental install kdeaccessibility kdeaddons kdeadmin
kdeartwork kdebase kdeedu kdegames kdegraphics kdelibs kdelibs4c2a
kdemultimedia kdenetwork kdepim kdeprint kdesdk kdesktop kdetoys kdeutils
kdm

(above is for complete KDE with all bells and whistles)

The following command at least gives a hint on which KDE meta packages are
installed, given that you have KDE 3.5.5 installed:

dpkg -l | grep "kde.*3.5.5" | awk '{print $2}' | grep -v "-" | grep "^kde"

(Its not perfect, it shows a few packages that aren't meta packages.)

You can use this when only some newer meta packages are available and you
want to track how complete your update already is. It for example told me
that I missed kdewebdev ;-):

shambala:~/backup> dpkg -l | grep "kde.*3.5.5" | awk '{print $2}' |
grep -v "-" | grep "^kde"
kdewebdev

Replace 3.5.5 with 3.5.6 if you want to see the metapackages from KDE
3.5.6.

Lastly check locale packages seperately (they get filtered by above
command, cause they contain - signs;-):

Seems german files are still to come ;-):

shambala:~/backup> apt-cache policy kde-i18n-de
kde-i18n-de:
  Installiert:4:3.5.5-1
  Mögliche Pakete:4:3.5.5-1
  Versions-Tabelle: