Re: KDE 3.5.6

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 17:34:43 +0100, Christoph Burgmer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2007 13:38 schrieb Didier Raboud:
> > Cédric Boutillier a écrit :
>
> > Then go into aptitude and update, after checking that only desired packages
> > are updated (check each and every update !). Then remove the line given
> > above. There is certainly a possibility to make it in a better way, but it
> > works.
>
> The only option I see is checking the whole lot of KDE packages. That would
> meen I'd have to set each one to the new version. With >50 packages this is
> not an option. Putting some base package to 3.5.6 and waiting for aptitude to
> resolve the conflicts doesn't work. Am I missing something?

Here is how I did it for KDE 3.5.6 (and Openoffice 2.1):

1) Add an experimental repository to your sources.list as discussed
   earlier.

2) Check the output of "apt-cache policy kdelibs4c2a": Apt(itude) should
   still prefer "unstable" by default. "Experimental" should have
   priority "1", meaning that it will not be considered if you start
   aptitude normally. (In fact, the experimental versions are not even
   listed by aptitude on my system.)

3) You can continue to use your aptitude normally, both in interactive
   mode and from the command line, to keep your "unstable" packages up
   to date.

4) Now the trick: Whenever you want to install something from
   "experimental" (or if you want to check for updates) you can run
   "aptitude -t experimental". You will start an interactive session and
   you will see the experimental packages listed under "upgradable
   packages". (You have to "u"pdate the list of available packages
   first, of course.)

5) You can now select your desired packages from the "upgradable" list
   and schedule them for an upgrade with "+". For KDE you can press "+"
   once for the entire KDE section. Aptitude will notice missing
   dependencies and propose solutions. You can examine them with "e" and
   then use "," and "." to move back and forth among the solutions until
   you find the one you like, i.e. upgrading all necessary dependencies.
   Accept this solution by pressing "!" when it is shown.

6) Now you can press "g" and aptitude will show you a summary list with
   the "kept-back" (not to be upgraded) packages first, followed by the
   list of packages which will be upgraded (scroll up or down with the
   cursor keys). It might also show that some unused packages will be
   removed, for example if they are made obsolete by one of the
   scheduled upgrades.

7) For a complex upgrade like KDE it is advisable to look over the
   entire "kept-back" list for packages that you missed. You can
   directly press "+" when you have selected them from that list and
   they will be upgraded, too. (Dependencies will be shown and resolved
   as with point 5 above.)

8) Once you are happy with the list of to-be-upgraded packages you can
   press "g" a second time and off you go.

9) If you are unsure about what is happening at any time, you can always
   press "q" repeatedly until you you quit aptitude and then run "aptitude
   keep-all" from the command line. This will cancel all scheduled
   actions, for example if you think you made a mistake in the package
   selection.

--
Regards,
          Florian