Re: Kmail 1.9.1 (KDE 3.5) 'save attachments' productivity loss

Tim Ruehsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just updated to KDE 3.5 / KMail 1.9.1. When selecting 'save
> attachments' on a mail with 2 or more attachments, a directory
> selector/requester pop's up. It asks me for a directory to save the
> files into. BUT:
>
> * I can't access my bookmarked directories. This makes the process of
> selecting a directory much slower.
>
> * I can't see any files in the selected directory. This cuts me off
> from: - a quick view into the directory (my decision to create a new
> directory might be based on the contents).
>   - removing/renaming single files before I press OK (for saving).
>
> Since I use this feature up to several times a day, this loss of
> productivity really annoys me.
>
> Is there a switch to enforce getting a file selector?

If you are in the position to compile KMail from sources, you can revert
this commit:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-commits&m=112269694124848&w=2

> If not: Would this be more a wishlist item or a minor/normal bug?
> Are there any other people who dislike the new 'feature'?

It's just another proof that developers should be very careful with
changing things already in applications. It's almost certain that you
will break someones workflow.

--
Hasso Tepper
KDE Estonian Team