Re: UTF8

Am Freitag 20 Oktober 2006 13:55 schrieb Didier Raboud:
> Le vendredi 20 octobre 2006 13:51, Alejandro Exojo a écrit :
> > El Viernes, 20 de Octubre de 2006 00:04, Wolfgang Mader escribió:
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > is there an uptodate howto which teaches me to switch to utf8 on my
> > > debian-sid-kde box?
> >
> > Maybe I forgot something, but it should be as easy as this:
> >
> > 1) generate locales (dpkg-reconfigure locales)
> > 2) change your $LANG, etc.
> > 3) convert your filenames (convmv is the king here) and the contents of
> > them (isoconv).
>
> 4) alter /etc/environment too...

my locales look like this:

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=de_DE:de:en_GB:en
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

less /etc/environment
LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="de_DE:de:en_GB:en"

I know convmv, but I did not know isoconv, I will try it.

But one problem remains. If I open a new file in lets say kate this is encoded
an iso-8559-1. Do I have to switch for every single new file manualy to utf8,
do I have to set it for every single app which is able to edit text or is
there an cental way to tell all apps to use utf8?

Thanks. W. Mader