Re: Safety of upgrading KDE while running KDE?

On Wednesday 18 October 2006 07:48, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Is it safe to upgrade KDE, especially core components like kdelibs,
> while one is running KDE?  I've been erring on the side of caution,
> but things have been changing a lot in testing recently, and it's a
> bit of a hassle to shut everything down and start up again.
>
> Anyone know under what conditions one should shut down KDE before an
> upgrade?
>
> Similarly, what about changes at the xorg level?  (I suppose I could
> add lots of other things as well: hal, dbus, libc...)  I know Debian
> generally doesn't require rebooting, but do the same "just do it"
> assurances apply to running programs or sessions?

I always upgrade while running KDE-X the worst problem I've encountered is
not being able to open new tabs in a running konqueror instance or new
files in a running kate instance(can't find the io-slave protocol anymore
or somesuch). In which case everything that's open keeps running fine, and
you need to restart KDE to be able to open things again.

-> So in my experience it's no problem, but as always YMMV
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)