[SOLVED] too thin, over-antialiased fonts...

> They're all markedly too thin, and this is most particularly evident with
> the letter X, which is so heavily antialiased that it looks like a
> lowercase x floating above the line.

Solved, probably.  I'm in the middle of something, and can't restart X at this
time.

I noticed that while xdpyinfo was reporting that I had both DRI and RENDER
extensions, glxinfo reported indirect rendering via Mesa, and glxgears was
butt slow.

I appear to be running the correct module already for this el sucko Intel
on-board video, but something is apparently missing.  I noticed there are
packages like this now

xserver-xorg-video-i810

Installing that pulled in

  libfontenc1 libxfont1

and those look familiar.  I'm betting the crappy rendering I'm seeing has
something to do with the bytecode interpreter, the hinter, or some arcane
who-cares-as-long-as-it-works thing like that.

--
D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>

Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/