Re: KDE, Debian and USB drives.

Larry Garfield wrote:
Martin,

That thread was actually just being discussed over the past week, and some
of us still have trouble. :-)  As near as I can figure:

1) You want a very recent kernel (2.6.12 or later, I think), udev, hal,
and pmount.

2) You do NOT want usbmount or hotplug, as those are deprecated despite
still being in the archive and installing without complaining.

3) You do want to wait a few days for the latest version of udev to get
checked in and become available, as it fixes a bug that keeps it from
working with USB drives. :-)

At least that's my understanding, and I hope that waiting a few days will
finally get my <expletive deleted> USB card reader to work.

At the moment you can simply downgrade to udev 0.082-1 which works fine
with hal 0.5.5.1-5. As soon as hal 0.5.6-2 enters unstable (it is
currently in incoming) you can upgrade again to the current version of
udev (0.084-1). You can also grab the new hal packages from incoming
right now:
http://incoming.debian.org/hal-device-manager_0.5.6-2_all.deb
http://incoming.debian.org/hal_0.5.6-2_ARC.deb
where ARC is the suffix for your architecture (i386, ia64, powerpc, etc.)

Regards,
          Florian