Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Erich Schubert [Sat, 26 Nov 2005 01:21:54 +0100]:
>

>>I disagree for some reasons:
>

>   [snip]
>
>   That reasons may be better understood after reading the following IRC
>   snippet:
>
>     01:01 <erich> grmpf. why did they rebuild kde and upload it to
>                   experimental, but not using dbus from experimental?
>     01:02  <dato> erich: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2005/11/msg00072.html
>     01:04 <erich> dato: yeah, but I'm now just going to uninstall kde,
>                   since I want to test the new gnome, which uses the new
>                   dbus...
>     01:05 <erich> they're just making the whole transition of the new dbus
>                   harder by not testing with it yet.
>     01:07  <dato> haha, no.
>     01:07  <dato> the gnome team has it easy 'cause they know that, whenever
>                   they want to push the version of gnome in experimental to
>                   unstable, the new dbus will have been uploaded to sid in
>                   advance.
>     01:07  <dato> (cause they work together/are the same people/etc.)
>     01:08  <dato> otoh, if the kde team wants to have liberty on when to
>                   upload to unstable, they (we) can't depend on the new dbus
>                   on experimental: what if when we want the new KDE in sid
>                   dbus is not ready? users would be forced to go back to the
>                   old one.
>     01:09  <dato> erich: you may have a bit of a point; for that, get in
>                   touch with Christopher, e.g. by replying to that message.

I completely agree with Eric. In addition I tested the 3.5-rc1 packages
from alioth, rebuilt kdebase inside a unstable chroot with hal/dbus from
experimental and all I had to do was a 1 line fix in debian/control. KDE
3.5 directly supports newer hal/dbus and doesn't need this huge patch
that is currently needed for Ubuntu Breezy. The package built without a
problem and so far KDE 3.5 runs just fine here. (The only issue I could
find is, that konqueror doesn't display local partitions in media:/ if
you don't run hal with retain-privileges).
For K3B and other packages I currently use (bluez-utils, tomboy, ..) the
recompilation was easy as with kdebase.

Although I can understand Adeato's concerns I think they would only
apply if KDE 3.5 wanted to enter unstable before Gnome 2.12 which is
unlikely given the time of testing that Gnome 2.12 already got and KDE
3.5 not even released yet.
IMHO now would be the right time to switch the hal/dbus packages to the
ones in experimental. I mean what would be your alternatives: ship KDE
3.5 for unstable compiled with the old hal/dbus packages conflicting
with Gnome 2.12 which would require an additional transtion? Maybe you
could outline your plans on how you want to tackle this issue.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?