Re: gmail in kmail

Many ISPs block outgoing SMTP from sending out messages not containing
a From: or Reply-To: with ISP's address.

Which means you should be able to use gmail's smtp for sending
messages with a FROM: you@gmail.com, and you should also be able to
use your ISP's provider for sending out e-mails that have your ISP's
address somewhere in the headers... But using one SMTP for the other's
e-mail will often not work, and that could apply to Google's smtp
server as well).