khotkeys

I have genius multimedia keyboard and I've setup the extra keys with the small
script, which is executed automatically when I start KDE.
After that I've made some keybindings in Kcontrol for some applications like
Kmail, Firefox, etc.
My problem is that if I occasionally press this keys for a longer period of
time it execute as much copies of a choosed program as it can. Can I limit
the number of running applications at the same time (for example only one
Kmail, Firefox, etc.), to avoid the effect described above, or maybe there is
some other solution?
Thanks in advance!