Re: Automounter in KDE

> > The system should be able to unmount the device regardsless of which
> > resources are using it when you press the eject button. You know best if
> > you want the disk out or not, the system shouldn't restrict you in doing
> > this.

> I think this choice shouldn't be made by you or by me, but by every single
> user. And i think locking the drives by default is ok.

How about mount-on-demand?

> > Same thing with usb storage. The system should auto-unmount the device if
> > you unplug it.

> And how's that supposed to work? Once you removed the stick it's already away.
> Your computer cannot finish pending operations like clearing it's buffers.
> You HAVE to umount it before removing. Even on other Systems that's the way
> to go.

> Well, you could mount the drive in sync-mode (beginning with 2.6.12 it should
> also work with FAT. But remember we're talking about flash-drives. They only
> can be flashed limited times. If you use sync, every operation will
> immediatley trigger writing the data to the usb-stick. Your USB-Stick might
> become unusable much earlier.

I find it best to mount writable removables with -o sync.
That way apps finish saving when they appear to finish saving,
which limits damage by novice users and dont-care-about-the-
technical-details users and old-hand-who-just-forgot users.

The union of the above sets of users, oddly, appears to encompass
the majority of the population (;-)).