Re: Gmail, Konqueror, Firefox, and OSS

On Friday 05 August 2005 20:55, Bob Tilley (AT&T) wrote:
> Gmail is an oft-used, web-based, e-mail management system.  The inner
> workings of Gmail are proprietary but definately NOT standards-based.
>
> Firefox is an open source web browser that displays no problems, of which
> the author is aware, interacting with Gmail.  Anyone can view the workings
> of this program.
>
> Konqueror is also an open source web browser that does display problems
> interacting with Gmail.  Specifically, in navigating to the Settings page.

Please report problems to bugs.kde.org. Note that right now GMail works best
when Konqueror uses a Firefox UA-string and then receives the same source as
Firefox.

> Do the people currently working on the Gmail-compatibility of Konqueror
> know this?  They can compare the code for Firefox to the code for
> Konqueror, note the differences and then transfer the Gmail-friendliness of
> Firefox to Konqueror.

*strangled laugh*
Short answer: Impossible

> These may be obvious questions with even more obvious answers, but the
> author of this e-mail doesn't know if the issue has ever been considered in
> these terms.  In no way am I trying to be rude, but only to understand.

The obvious answer is to write to Google and ask them to fully support
Konqueror. While you are at it ask them to send Konqueror crap in Blogger,
and add us to the list of working browsers in maps.google.com.

Unfortunately Google is more or less unreachable. Even as KHTML developer I've
been unable to obtain any reply let alone help from Google.

`Allan