Re: half duplex

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Tuesday 02 August 2005 01:45 pm, Jeff Coppock wrote:

Lei Yu wrote:

I think the hub does support full duplex. It is netgear dual
speed hub model DS104.

These "dual-speed" hubs are still hubs.  They simply provide a
single switch (bridge) between the 10Mbps and the 100Mbps segments.
Essentially, it combines a 10Mbps hub and a 100Mbps hub into a
single unit and then a switch circuit connects the two.

Aren't home-user oriented dual-speed ethernet devices typically implemented in the form of a switch?

Not from what I see. But both are available, you're just gonna pay more for a "switch" than for a "hub" since there is more circuitry in the switch.

If the dual-speed ethernet device says "hub", each unit has a built-in self-learning bridge which provides the communications link between the 10 and 100 Mbps network devices. The intelligent bridge automatically manages network traffic such that 100 Mbps traffic does not unnecessarily crowd the 10 Mbps network segment and 10 Mbps traffic does not crowd the 100 Mbps segment.

If the dual-speed ethernet device says "switch", then each port is bridged individually, so each port supports both HD and FD.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User