Re: kded memory leak

On 6/21/05, Zack Cerza <zcerza@coe.neu.edu> wrote:
> On 2005 June 20 Monday 18:29, Ricardo Galli wrote:
> > top is not the right tool to measure memory consumption. OTH the xfree
> > memoryu consuption issue has been clarified several times. One is the top
> > misleading figures, the others is that it counts the graphic card memory.
> Er, I know that - but it's still ridiculous, no?

It's not. In easy terms: You count your swap space as "memory" as
well, it's simply mapped into the addressable space of your system.
It's similar for the graphic card's memory.

> What I don't know (and you didn't say) is what the right tool is.

You could simply subtract the size of your card's memory from the
value you get with top or ps.
For more detailed information on memory usage:
# cat /proc/`pidof X`/status | grep ^Vm

Björn