Re: Usability: Desktop icons that use Kwallet

Am Samstag, 11. Juni 2005 13:57 schrieb Anders Ellenshøj Andersen:
> If the application is allowed access to kwallet it usually presents you
> with the authorization information in a login style prompt so you actually
> have two layers you have to pass before you are logged in.
>
> The main point is, why would anyone want to deny the desktop access to the
> kwallet when it is already open? I can understand that if kwallet is not
> open you have to supply the password to open it, but when it is already
> open it doesn't make sense to ask the user if he wants to use information
> in it. If you left your console without logging out, an evil person could
> just say yes when the desktop prompts the user to get access. And she would
> already have access to much more sensitive information. Another argument
> would be if someone were to somehow spoof an icon so that is accesses the
> wallet without you knowing it, but in that case I'd say you already have
> bigger problems on your hand.
>
> If nobody can come up with good counter argument, I will file a wishlist
> bug about this.

1. You can have the wallet automatically closed if no program uses it any
longer and on screen lock and...
If you leave your desktop unlocked (for whatever reason), you may want to
enable immediate closing of the wallet after each use (yes, you can do that).
BTW: kdebluetooth is nice for automating such thing when you have a bluetooth
device at hand :)

2. I think you did not fully understand how kwallet works. It treats _every_
program equally (be it konqueror or whatever) and you have to decide _at_
_the_ _moment_ _of_ _access_ (or always if you are very sure) to the wallet
if the request is justified.
Kwallet knows nothing about desktop icons (why should it) and does no stupid
guessing about what you possibly could want.
It like with certificates: _you_ have to decide to trust them. That's nothing
that the debian maintainer can or should do for you!

HS