Re: The variable TEXINPUTS isn't recognized when the tex file is opened by the file manager and the file was compiles by the yatex tex command

* yukie [Sun, 15 May 2005 00:40:25 +0900]:

Hello!

> Package: yatex
> Version: 1.71-1

  This bug has been reassigned from yatex to konqueror, but this is not
  really a bug in konqueror (nor in any package), so I'm closing it.

  I will try now to give you some hints about what you should do to get
  the file association working properly. I'm cc'ing the debian-kde list,
  so if my indications are not enough, please follow up there since
  there'll be other people there able to help you.

> I am using debian sarge, and having trouble with
> yatex.  I don't have this problem with other machines
> with debian woody.  The problem is as follows.
> I set up the file association of konqueror so that
> when I double click an tex file then it is opened
> by the editor emacs.  I use yatex to edit tex files.

> I set up the environment variables as follows in my .bashrc
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> export TEXINPUTS=.:/usr/share/texmf//:${HOME}/tex-macros//
> export BIBINPUTS=.:/usr/share/texmf//:${HOME}/tex-macros//
> export BSTINPUTS=.:/usr/share/texmf//:${HOME}/tex-macros//

  This is the whole issue, that you set up the variable in your
  ~/.bashrc. This is an issue that bites many people: environment
  variables set in .bashrc are only available for your Bash sessions
  (inside e.g. konsole or xterm). This is the reason for:

> If I open a tex file from the command line this problem does not
> occur and I can compile the file.

  The way to solve this is to make the above variables available to
  konqueror. You can do that by e.g. placing the above definitions in a
  file in ~/.kde/env named *.sh, like ~/.kde/env/variables.sh.

  Or in your ~/.[xX]session file, if you use one.

  Personaly, I use /etc/X11/Xsession.d/85LOCAL-sourcefiles, a file
  created by me that contains, among other things, this:

    if test -f $HOME/.Xsession-common; then
        . $HOME/.Xsession-common
    fi

> I put macro files in tex-macros such as head.tex.  When I try to
> compile with Ctrl+c t j it doesn' recognize the variable TEXINPUTS
> and says

> ! I can't find file `head'.
> l.2 \input head

> Please type another input file name:

> If I open a tex file from the command line this problem does not
> occur and I can compile the file.  I don't know if this is a problem of
> yatex or konqueror.  When I open a tex file in a similar manner on a
> woody machine this problem does not occur.  Of course I may be
> overlooking something, but I appreciate if somebody could look into the
> matter.

> Sincerely yours,
> Akihiko Yukie

  Hope this helps,

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."
                -- Isaac Asimov