Re: Kiosk

On Thursday 07 April 2005 22:04, Jan Lühr wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've just read the kiosk tutorial but I don't understand it completly.
> Perhaps you may help me, to fix my thoughts ;)
> It is said, that I can choose between setting defaults, that can be
> changed, and settings being permanent - but how do I actually do that? -
you add a flag to the setting (or group) namely the i(mmutable) flag.

-> if you have a config file like this:
[Digital]
Background_Color=238,216,174
Blink=true
Foreground_Color=0,0,0
LCD_Style=false
Shadow_Color=198,179,144
Show_Date=true
Show_Seconds=false
Use_Custom_Colors=false

-> changing the Blink line to the below would make that setting permanent
Blink[$i]=true

-> adding the flag to the section heading makes all settings in the section
permanent
[Digital][$i]

> Futhermore - if I understand the tutorial correctly - a configuration for
> an application is a merge of different configuration files.

yes, KDE will look for configuration files (or anything else) relative[1]
to:
- each directory in KDEDIRS (just /usr by default (what would
be /usr/share/config/* is in /etc/kde3/*)
- in the dir pointed to by KDEHOME (defaults to .kde)

when merging KDE will look in each KDEDIRS in order, first place a setting
is encountered will be used for that setting (so the actual config of an
app might take key-value pairs from different files)

if the resulting value of a setting is not marked as immutable the value (if
any) specified under KDEHOME will override it, if marked as immutable the
user value for that settings is ignored.

> Let's take the Desktop for instance.
> I'd like to set some system specific links (Icon on Desktop) to some
> programs that are neither editable by the user nor stored in
> /home/user/Desktop. How do I do that? I see no Desktop config in
> /etc/kde3 and /usr/share on my sarge box...
> Any hints?

place them in <somedir>/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop where <somedir> is a
directory included in KDEDIRS

[1] the kde file system hierarchy doc explains in general terms what goes
were, you can find it at http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)