Re: blank screen after hwclock --hctosys

Am Freitag, 25. März 2005 11:54 schrieb André Wöbbeking:
> On Saturday 01 January 2005 11:46, Joerg Reckers wrote:
>
> 01 January 2005 ???
>
> > Problem:
> > If i do a "hwclock --hctosys" in kde (i do it in an xterm) after the
> > machine wakes up from a supend to disk, the screen gets completly
> > black for a minute or so. After that everything is fine and the
> > system time is updated.
> >
> > i dont understand.
> > why does the screen blank?
> > why does it so long?
>
> Your system time is out of sync. If the difference is too big X has a
> problem to synchronize. Have a look at ntpdate or ntp.
>

> Cheers,
> André

Yes my system is totaly out of sync sure, but thats because of the suspend to
disk! It is still set to the time it has been while suspending!

i have running ntp, so a norrmal reboot is no problem! but ntpd doesnt work if
the system is totally out of sync as it is after a suspend to disk, i have to
update the system time manually (by using the hwclock as reference or using
ntpdate). [As the system time is still the old after waking up from disk, i
can even use an "at now + 5 min" in my suspend to disk script to do that]

As i wrote before:
>> -It only hangs once, if change the hwclock later to whatever time and do a
>>hwclock --hctosys again it works without problems. so just the first time i
>>do it, i get the black screen.
so just to be out of sync seems not to be a big deal for X
(where can i find more information about beeing out of sync and X problems?)

greetings joerg