Re: libqt-mt => libqt3c102-mt

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 03:09:21PM +0200, Henning Moll wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have an additional question to an old mailing list discussion:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2004/04/msg00259.html
>
> It was about dependency problems just due to the fact, that packages are
> (unnecessarily) named different: There are many KDE backports out
> there, some of them depends on libqt3-mt, some of them on
> libqt3c102-mt. So it is difficult (?) to build a package of an KDE
> application which will work with both of these different backports:
>
> >> Can't you make your package depend on kdelibs4, and use the implicit
> >> kdelibs4->libqt3* dependency ?
> >
> >No. The package dependencies are generated at build time against
> >whatever the package links to, plus manually set dependencies. So for
> >kdelibs4 and libqt3c102-mt they are automatically set up.
>
> Now i noticed, that i can resolve the problem by manually correct the
> Depends field like that:
>
> before:
> Depends: ..., libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.1.2), ...
>
> after:
> Depends: ..., libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.1.2) | libqt3c102-mt (>= 3:3.1.2), ...
>
> That works, but is there an better way to achieve that?

libqt3c102-mt indicates it was built with gcc 3.2 or above. c++
libraries built with gcc 2.95 and 3.2 are not compatible with each
other. If the libqt3c102-mt is really built with gcc 3.2 you should not
adjust the depends line. If you mangle the depends in the manner above
your packages will stop working when upgraded to sarge/sid, unless they
are replaced by a newer version as well. Otherwise if it isn't really
built against gcc 3.2+ it should not be using the c102 form of the name.

Chris