Sound Problem

I have a strange sound problem (KDE3.2 prerelease packates) and I don't know
where to look for a solution.

Log in as root, and I get sound notifications (for instance on startup and
shutown)

Login as me (member of the audio group) and I get no sound notifications, nor
can I play the sample sounds from the
kcontrol/sound&multimedia/soundnotifications control panel

However I CAN play these sounds through NOATUN

It started when I upgraded for kernel 2.6.2 to 2.6.3, but I can't see why that
should have anything to do with it.

I suspect I have screwed something in a .kde file somewhere.  But what.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk